Monday, March 30, 2015

SpyGirl Watches: "Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies"

CREATED/ LINKS/
Exactly five years ago I finally went to the doctor about a lump in my right breast that had been growing for about a year. Yes I was in deep denial.
It was breast cancer -- stage IIIc, to be exact.
I had a mastectomy, chemo, and radiation.
I'm sharing this fact so that maybe you won't procrastinate as badly as I did.
[If you want to read about my cancer saga, it's over on a Caring Bridge blog here].
I'm fully recovered, by the way. Team Bray for the win!

There has been much more open discussion of cancer of late. I think that's beneficial to all that get touched by this disease, whether it's as the one with the malady or as that person's caretaker and/or loved one. Wendy Brandes wrote an excellent post here regarding Angela Jolie's cancer decisions, I highly suggest reading it.

PBS is airing a three part documentary based on the book by Siddhartha Mukherjee.
I enjoyed the book very much and I'm looking forward to seeing the documentary.
There was a great review of it in the Sunday LA Times here.

"Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies" will be airing 9pm Monday 3/30 - Wednesday 4/1 (six hours over three nights). Check your local listing.