Friday, May 24, 2013

My Personal Punk xPerience

GIFTED/ LINKS

The reported dilemmas of How to Dress Punk for the Met Costume Ball have elicited some eye rolls and sarcastic snorts over here on planet SpyGirl. So many of the attendees had no clue! They either weren't yet born or ran in a more [cough cough] elevated crowd when Punk reared its ugly head in the 70s.

I never was a punk, just punk-adjacent. Although I lived in Manhattan in 77/78 and went into the city frequently in the early 80s, I never made it to CBGB. I DID sell DIY jewelry on the street as one of my last "jobs" before exiting the city, which is more wannabe-punk. And the fact that I got a street vendor's license negates any possible punk cred.

Surely somewhere there is a chart differentiating New Wave and Punk. I was New Wave. It was happier.

I moved to the greater LA area in the fall of 82. I'd say this this was the Rococo Era on the Punk timeline. The X was friends with one of the Perkins brothers, owners of Perkins Palace in Pasadena. He "helped out" in the concession stand (mostly throwing beers onto the audience) during many a punk show.

Here is my souvenir tee:
"A bill made in hell!
The Cramps with...
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds,
plus Die Schloflosen, Saccharine Trust
Perkins Palace Fri 22 Jun '84"
For your amusement, here are a few NYT links reviewing the Met's exhibition "Punk: Chaos to Couture": 1, 2, 3. [thanks to Ruth!]

Have you seen the show? What do you think?